Importance Of Immigration Lawyers
What is the importance of immigration lawyers? The big picture reply is to ask what is the importance of immigration to your country? For the United States, immigration is very important! Immigration has been the keystone of the US’ growth and prosperity for almost three centuries.
The purpose of immigration lawyers and the federal immigration law they uphold is to ensure an orderly process for people to (legally) immigrate to and emigrate from the United States. This includes ensuring due process and fair treatment of people subject to immigration law, including those people who comply with that law and those who break that law.
What is the Role of an Immigration Lawyer?
The role of an immigration lawyer is somewhat unique when compared with other types of lawyers. Most immigration lawyers spend their time helping persons who are having difficulty dealing with immigration requirements.
The role of immigration lawyers is usually that of an advisor or counselor to foreign citizens and immigrants who must interact with U.S. immigration authorities. Immigration lawyers provide advice and guidance for matters such as visa applications, green cards, citizenship and naturalization, deportation issues, and employment for non-citizens.
Immigration lawyers spend far less time handling civil disputes in court than other types of lawyers. Instead, they usually act as mediators between clients and immigration authorities such as the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
On the other hand, immigration lawyers do make appearances before immigration judges if a client is facing an immigration hearing. Many immigration lawyers also handle matters involving an interaction between immigration and criminal laws.
What do immigration lawyers do?
The immigration issues that have seen intense political debate and media coverage in recent years are only part of the story.
The United States sees a constant influx of people hoping to live, work, and study within its borders, and immigration lawyers can help individuals, families, and businesses navigate those various and often complex immigration pathways. A person’s immigration status might impact and intersect with other legal matters too, such as family law, criminal law, business, and tax law, and being well versed in immigration law is necessary for attorneys practicing in those areas as well.
Immigration lawyers may represent clients in administrative courts, or they may counsel clients about their legal rights and obligations related to immigration, among other things. They also suggest courses of action based on their knowledge of immigration law.
For example, immigration lawyers might help citizens of other countries through the process of gaining legal status to work in the United States with the H-1B visa program. This program provides a framework for American employers to hire non-U.S. citizens in jobs where their skills are needed. Individuals hoping to come to the United States to fill such positions must gain approval through a complex and often intimidating process. They (or often the employers hoping to hire them) often turn to immigration lawyers, who provide assistance in completing forms and taking other required steps. The lawyers may also represent clients in dealing with government officials in matters related to the visa application.
Many Services Available to Help You
Professional immigration law firms offer a broad variety of services to clients. These firms serve families, students, employees and employers, refugee claimants, and individuals seeking employment and immigration to Canada.
The services available in most immigration and refugee law practices include:
- Business Services – Assistance with Intra-Company Transfers, Labour Market Impact Assessments, NAFTA Transfers, Business Visitor Visas, Provincial Nominations and Permanent Foreign Workers.
- Immigration Appeal – Frame and argue your immigration and refugee appeal with the help of legal representation that will strategize and articulate your arguments.
- Fighting Removals – Handling of urgent immigration matters immediately and effectively and representing clients competently and effectively in these stressful situations.
- Permanent Residency – Careful, complete, and professional representation of your documents and information, presenting you with the most suitable immigration solution.
- Temporary Residency – Professional legal advice on your temporary residency application for business visas, NAFTA work permits, study permits, super visas, visitor visas, and work permits.
- Citizenship Services – Legal representation for your citizenship application and appeal. Changes in the Federal Government has made this process more challenging; immigration lawyers will ensure you are firmly positioned to succeed in this process.
- Refugee Claims – Legal advice and representation through the refugee claim process, reparation for questioning at hearings, and effectively strategizing oral submissions on behalf of the client before the Refugee Protection Division Board Member.
Each service is specifically tailored to the needs of the client to offer efficient and effective solutions that will yield the best results.
A Good Immigration Lawyer Can Provide a Path to Citizenship
Most immigrants are working towards the American dream – U.S. citizenship. An expert attorney has made this dream a reality for thousands of immigrants, completing their journey to becoming a U.S. citizen.
An immigration lawyer has in-depth knowledge of the blueprint for citizenship, and can impart that wisdom to you during every confusing and complicated step in the arena of immigration law.
No immigration procedure is easy, and most of the time, there are many steps to take and papers to file. You might feel like you’re in over your head, especially if English isn’t your first language. No matter what you’re trying to achieve, a skilled immigration lawyer can guide you through this complicated process, one step at a time.